11 Gorgeous (and Strategic!) Facebook Landing Pages from Nonprofit Marketing Stars

by Carol Buckheit on January 20, 2011

So your organization has officially entered the 21st century by creating a Facebook Fan page.  Good for you. If you are like many nonprofits, Facebook will become one of the top drivers of traffic to your website.  And that’s where you want folks to contribute, take action, and join your e-list, right?

Yes. But some savvy nonprofit marketers have figured out that spending a few dollars on a graphic artist ($50-$125) to create a custom Facebook landing page is a terrific investment that helps engage folks a few clicks sooner than traveling to a website. It requires a tiny bit of HTML knowledge, and changing your default wall setting so newcomers on Facebook see your custom page first. (For now, it seems, Facebook will continue to support custom tabs.) Another option: visit App Bistro and locate a low-cost custom pagebuilder app.

These nonprofits caught my eye with eye-catching graphics and savvy marketing via their Facebook landing pages:

Newbies to the Share Our Strength or One Facebook pages are plunked right on their “Sign the Pledge” tab–clean and eye-catching, and an easy list-building strategy.

Share our Strength Facebook Landing Page

One Facebook landing page

By the way, email broadcast tools like MailChimp and Constant Contact have their own Facebook apps you can install, giving you an email signup tab in minutes. No graphic artist needed.

New to Oceana on Facebook? They don’t waste time asking you to take action, landing you right on a page to write your Congress people.

Oceana Facebook landing

Check out the Canadian Opera Company’s lovely graphic greeting newcomers to their Facebook page, helping to sell tickets and advertise upcoming concerts.

Canadian Opera Co FB Landing page

I love this one from Susan G. Komen. Click “Start Now” and you land on a page to sign up for one of 3 “Race for the Cure” events.

Susan Komen Facebook landing

Queens Museum of Art and Planned Parenthood ask for a donation as soon as you hit their page.  (A bit premature? I wonder). But who wouldn’t donate in exchange for macaroons?

Queens Museum of Art Facebook landing page
Planned Parenthood Facebook Landing Page

In the utterly unique and mindblowing category, the Facebook landing page of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation cleverly uses a link to their website to create a Google map of real people living with over 20 different neurological disorders around the country, with additional information on caregivers, vets, supporters, physicians and more. Wow. Don’t ask me how they did it. It’s a brilliant way to build their list, inform their supporters, and empower those living with illness.

Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Facebook Landing page

The Human Rights Campaign, Oxfam, and Americares combine a little of everything, including shopping:

HRC Facebook landing

OXFAM Facebook landing page

Americares Facebook landing page

Print Friendly

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Cynthia January 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Thank you VERY MUCH for the above information! Lots of very useful and important information for us to think about and discuss.

Carol Buckheit January 27, 2011 at 2:00 pm

You are most welcome, Cynthia! I really appreciate your comment. Stop back again!
Carol

Tim Merrick January 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Fantastic examples…thank you. It makes my head spin how much you can do with a FB landing page…I obviously need to now do my homework.

Thanks~

Carol Buckheit January 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Yes, and to think that FB almost stopped allowing custom landing pages. I think they are valuable for nonprofits–hope we get to hold onto them!
Thanks for your comment, Tim!
Carol

Javier De Jesus February 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

I’m with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team In Training in Georgia. Check out our FB landing page “Tell Me More” at http://www.facebook.com/teamintraininggeorgia

Carol Buckheit February 1, 2011 at 11:58 am

Wow!! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing that. I may do a part II of my blog on cool FB landing pages–I’ll be sure to include this one if I do! Thanks for visiting and for your comment.

Scott Dickens February 5, 2011 at 10:43 am

You should check out this statewide environmental non-profit in VA: http://www.facebook.com/keepvirginiabeautiful

Carol Buckheit February 7, 2011 at 6:49 am

Ah, nice work! Another terrific one. Thanks for sharing it and for leading me to you!

JonB February 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

This article is a terrific resource of well done landing pages, but I have a serious doubt on one statement:

“Yes. But some savvy nonprofit marketers have figured out that spending a few dollars on a graphic artist ($50-$125)”

I would surely like to know how you developed/researched that number you quote. It seems disingenuous at best. I can’t imagine any of the pages offered having that low a graphic budget. No one gets it right on one pass, and even using the lowest cost tier of graphic providers (lets say crowdsourcing) it would be mighty tough to come in at a number like that (you need a decent number of discrete elements). And that is without considering the page production, even if in-house.

Or are you saying the total value add of a custom landing page is $125.00 max?

This, of course is only my opinion.

Carol Buckheit February 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

Thanks for making this excellent point, Jon. I agree that the samples on my post likely require more graphics and HTML work than $125. Much simpler landing pages can be created by a graphics person in the $50-$125 range. For example, I use Laurel Graphic Design in West Hartford, CT, and she has created some basic ones (like this: http://www.facebook.com/chdict?sk=app_4949752878) for that price. I imagine that costs would vary around the country, depending on factors such as what graphics/photos some organizations may already have on hand, which a graphics person can simply adapt for Facebook. No doubt the fancier ones cost more, for sure. Thanks for helping to clarify this important point!

Rafael Casuso March 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

For those interested in that kind of profesional landing pages, using PHP, Javascript, HTML and CSS, among other tecnologies, we’re developing them from 300$. Our last landing page was for the Museum of Natural Sciences of Barcelona:

Contact us in: soporte@okwebdesign.es

Matthew T. Browning June 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’m loving these. I’m trying to integrate some YouTube video into the one we’re going to create for ourselves, but as the Oxfam illustrates, maybe a beautiful picture will be better!

Roxanne July 14, 2011 at 7:18 pm

How could I get in contact with Laurel Graphic Design in West Hartford, CT. I am interested in her designing a facebook landing page for the nonprofit oragnization I work for.

Thank you!

Carol Buckheit July 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

It’s LCHoskins@aol.com
Good luck!

JORGE FERNÁNDEZ August 8, 2011 at 5:34 am

Existe una aplicación llamada MITUCAN que sirve para crear una web completa dentro de facebook, de manera TOTALMENTE GRATUITA. Podrás crear una Landing Page para tu Fan Page de facebook con un acabado profesional y 100% editable con gestor de contenidos. Se instala en segundos y es muy sencilla de utilizar. Podeis echarle un vistazo en la web oficial http://www.mitucan.com o buscandola en facebook. Espero os sirva de ayuda. Saludos

Carol Buckheit August 22, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Muchas gracias, Jorge!

Shawn August 20, 2011 at 5:49 pm

There guys aren’t a non-profit (just a local biz), but I think they did an excellent job on their landing page, for being a small business. – http://www.facebook.com/brendansirish

Cindy cook September 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Oh these are gorgeous examples. Thanks for putting together a great lit of FB landing pages, now off to design one for us….

Carol Buckheit September 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

Thanks for the comment, Cindy! Good luck with your own design. Things have changed a bit since I wrote this blog. Now, Facebook has switched over to IFrames. Here is a resource for you: http://www.kimwoodbridge.com/how-to-make-a-custom-facebook-page-tab-with-iframes/